Monday, May 15, 2017

Embrace Yourself: Tell Me About Your Tattoos

For a few weeks, my blog will be featuring people in my life that have chosen to use their bodies as a canvas for art and for statements about their life, in the form of tattoos.  Although I don't have any myself (legit needle phobia), I still love them and have respect for people that choose to have them.  Every tattoo has a story.  I intend to tell theirs.  This is Heather's story:

"I've always had a colorful light to my being. Tattoos have been a way to express that colorful light physically with my body through art. Every time I look in the mirror I'm blessed with the constant and beautiful reminders of who I am and who I evolve to be. My heart fills and I smile. Then as morbid as it may sound, I find a strong therapeutic quality to the tattooing process through any pain I may endure. The emotional journeys some of my sessions, such as the chest area, has taken me on, have been very healing, helping me to release pent up feelings and emotions through an outlet that transforms those things into masterpieces. Some people see a therapist, I get tattoos. 

And just like everything has its special place at grandmas house, every tattoo has its special place on my body. All my work symbolizes the two things I have to live with for the rest of my life. Me and my family. At my roots you will find symbolism of my foundations. The relationship I have with my father, my childhood, who I was born as, along with the connections and support that would guide me. On my back you will find my siblings. Both in this life and the next, they will ALWAYS have my back! Then there's my chest and arms. When my hands connect in front of me, you see the portal of everything I am and evolve to be. A continuous circle and journey. From my heart space I bloom as a Goddess. (I get referenced as Greenheart Goddess often) Blossoming from the Goddesses before me, my mother and grandmother are represented as their favorite flowers, each giving me a hand of protection leading towards each arm. My left arm is the beginning of my growth. It is the obstacles, the rise, the loss of ego, and words to live by with the things that make me happy such as daisies and ice cream! As it meets the energy of my chest, its power is ignited by the light that sparks there and evolves into the cosmos of my higher being on my right arm. There you will find my manifestations, my magic, my mantra. 

Through the expression of who I am, I've fortunately never had to deal with any negativity towards my tattoos. My experiences with the world have been quite the opposite! The artwork and colors seem to bring so much joy out of others. It becomes infinite smiles and conversation starters and pass by compliments from strangers in the store. My favorite is the older generation. More often than not, they get super pumped and show me their old pieces they have hidden under their shirts! Without hesitation they always lift their sleeve or shirt up to share the excitement! Even at my place of employment in a Doctor's office, my artwork is accepted and appreciated! I'm very grateful, but I feel at the same time we've come a long way with society and acceptance of this art form. 

At this point in my life, I've got a decent amount of artwork, although I couldn't give an exact number because they have definitely begun to blend. And you can bet I have every intention of getting more because I'm still evolving. When I die one day, you will know my journey. The story will be right there in all its glory of color."

No comments:

Post a Comment